Truth is, I never set out to be a blogger, which may explain the gap of time between my last post and this - I’m, as they say, gettin’ shit done! To the folks who can document the everyday, I applaud you! Blogger, I am certainly not, but I always wanted to be busy with the work I’ve been up to lately and I’m thrilled to share some things with you. And TRUST ME, I’ve stopped short of writing no less than a dozen blog posts about how Pinterest is ruining your home and HGTV is sitting on a thrown of lies, but these are stories for another day, and perhaps, should you dear readers demand it, a future post.
So, let’s catch up. Much has happened since I last wrote and I know you are on the edge of your seat to read all 5 reasons I’m terrible at this, the act of blogging. Coincidently, the reasons I’m terrible at blogging this year, so far, are all very connected to my last post from January (almost 9 months ago) - “The Top 5 things I’m excited about right now”. Turns out all 5 things kept me pretty busy throughout the year.
1. I am terrible at blogging because…..The start of the year brought about the on-set of planned renovations to our new space in downtown Charleston - an 1853 townhouse and I, unlike a lot of designers and some creatives, am hands on. Every finish, every detail, each color and each fabric passes across my desk. We took a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom condo to 1 bedroom, 1.5 baths and a privately accessed office space. We renovated the master bedroom, closet, completely re-imagined the bathroom, renovated the main hallway and living room. We also updated the back porch and added a half bathroom in an unused closet space.
As of April or so, we’ve counted ourselves 50% done with renovations, but the devil is in the details (like replacing all of the door hardware with solid brass rim locks and knobs…..aka the best jewelry you could buy for yourself). Strides are made each week as we await phase two - the kitchen overhaul and dining room renovation. Can’t wait to share more details!
Scroll through, below, for some before and after pictures of our home.
2. I am terrible at blogging because….like 99% of all restaurants, the lovely, delicious and homey Daps Breakfast and Imbibe opened later than expected to absolute overwhelming fanfare. Since the doors flung open there has been a line out the door and near constant praise from some places that make us blush.
3. I’m terrible at blogging because….I’m focused on growing my business organically, with boots on the ground, handshakes and coffee meetings. But, this time last year the Harrison Project in NYC was starting, it’s since wrapped, with glowing reviews from its residents….and even lead to a private rooftop space job this summer. You try building a pergola on a rooftop!
4. In January I was pumped for the Gibbes Museum of Art’s Winter party, which was a big success. My parents came. My mom brought foam fingers - it made the front page of the newspapers arts section. It was a hit, to say the least.
5. The Design-y TV I was jazzed about in January is no longer sold in the US. But who cares! It’s all about art anyway.
Taylor DeBartola Interiors was thrilled to host “Tokens of Affection” an exhibition of Alex Waggoner’s work, which she completed during her August Residency at the Gibbes Museum of Art. It was a raging success and her work is something to get excited about.